The Caldwell Memorial Hospital (CMH) Auxiliary, Inc. was established in 1974 to serve the patients, families, and visitors of Caldwell Memorial Hospital, Inc. through direct services and provision of support services to enhance patient care and comfort, and to promote the health and welfare of the community. The CMH Auxiliary is comprised of more than 100 volunteers who serve in various departments and physician networks within the hospital’s organization.
Since its inception and thanks to the dedication and generosity of the volunteers and the community, the hospital has benefited from more than 400,000 working hours and over one million dollars of contributions.
The Volunteer Services department is located on the first floor of the main hospital campus and adjacent to the hospital Gift Gallery. More information about the department and services may be obtained by contacting the director of volunteer services at 828-757-5123.
Caldwell UNC Health Care is in need of quality, caring people to become a part of our hospital volunteer family. We are always looking for individuals who are compassionate, enthusiastic, qualified and committed to making a difference. Whether you are helping patients’ access support services or families find their way around our campuses, you will make a difference as a volunteer.
Whether you are 14 years of age (Jr. Volunteer) or over 90, Caldwell UNC Health Care has lots of volunteer opportunities making it easy to donate your time and talents in a way that suits both your interests and schedule.
Adult volunteer positions involve various levels of skill, challenge and involvement. Hours and days are flexible; however, most positions require a three-hour per week commitment.
Become a Volunteer at Caldwell UNC Health Care
Once your application has been reviewed and outstanding references have been received, you will be contacted to meet with our office to determine if a mutually beneficial relationship will result from you joining our program. During the interview, together we will determine which area you will be best suited to support.
Volunteer Processing will also include:
- Tuberculosis (TB) Skin Test and Immunization Review
- Criminal Background Check
- Orientation (3 hours)
- Departmental Training
- Annual Education, flu shot, COVID full vaccination, and TB Compliance
Volunteer Training and Requirements
- Complete a Caldwell UNC Health Care volunteer orientation session, and be trained in job-specific areas. Training includes general hospital protocols, safety, and infection control. Each volunteer area has a position description that outlines duties and expectations. Once assigned to your location, department, or shift, you will receive further details, training, or shadowing for your duties.
- Complete health assessment to screen for Tuberculosis (TB), Pertussis (Whooping Cough), Varicella (Chicken Pox) and Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
- Adhere to the current vaccination policies, including annual flu vaccination and COVID vaccinations
- Notify your volunteer services director and immediate supervisor if you are ill and stay home so you don’t expose patients or others to your illness
- Complete a criminal background check
- Adhere to all Caldwell UNC Health Care policies and procedures, including privacy/confidentiality, code of conduct, and dress code
In addition to the satisfaction that comes from helping others, Caldwell UNC volunteers are also eligible for several benefits including:
- Jonas Cafeteria discounts
- Award pins for extended services
- Gift Gallery discounts
- Annual Volunteer Appreciation Event
- Summer Gathering
- Annual Fall Awards
- Other periodic activities as planned by the CMH Auxiliary Board of Directors
Student Volunteers, Interns, and Shadowers
We also have opportunities for junior volunteers (must be 14 years of age as of June 1), student interns, and student shadowers. The application process for these positions is separate from the Adult Volunteer application. For more information, contact: email@example.com
Volunteers help support several fundraising opportunities, with proceeds benefiting the hospital and patient services.
The Love Light Project, a special annual project has generated over half a million dollars in the past 30+ years to help support various hospital projects for our patients and community. The support of our community and hospital staff has been phenomenal, and the annual tree lighting provides an opportunity to show care and remembrance during the holiday season.
Throughout the year, our volunteers and Auxiliary host an array of clothing and jewelry sales, uniform sales and more to help generate funds used in support of hospital programs and services.
The hospital’s gift shop or “Gift Gallery” is a tremendous support service to our patients, families, visitors, hospital staff, and the community. Located on the first floor of the hospital, the store is stocked with beautiful, seasonal, and unique merchandise. Beautiful, unique made floral and silk floral arrangements are also available for purchase. The hospital staff see the Gift Gallery as a ‘break away’ from their work areas including purchase of their favorite sundries and a time to shop and gather a breath of fresh air!
Volunteer Services matches the skills, talents, and interests of individuals 14 year of age and older with various needs at Caldwell UNC Health Care.
The goals of the Volunteers are to support Caldwell UNC Health Care and its mission, respond to the needs of patients and their families, enhance the community’s understanding of health care through educational programs and outreach activities, and to maintain on going sources of revenue to meet present and future hospital needs.
If you're interested in volunteering, learn more about our volunteer qualifications and expectations. We can't wait to meet you!